April 14, 2012

flowers

Last weekend when our families were down for our big reveal, my mom offered to help me pick out and plant flowers around our house. I appreciate this so much because I'm not the best at picking out flowers that will survive... But my mom is a great gardener! I think she could spend every day outside tending to her flowers and making their yard more beautiful. So, early Friday morning, she and I went to Lowe's to find flowers for our house. Let's just say, it took the entire back part of her SUV to hold all of our new plants!! Oh, and one side note: did you know Lowe's will refund your money if your flowers/plants die within a year?! I learned this from my mother-in-law. I hope I don't have to test this out, but it's really nice to know just in case.

When we got home, we knew we had our work cut out for us. The flower beds that spread out down the length of our house conveniently have about 6 inches of rocks on top of black plastic on top of the soil, which meant it was quite a job to even get to the dirt, then we had to dig holes to put the flowers in... We also found out that the soil around one of our crepe myrtles is not really soil, but more like clay. Not fun to dig in... But over the weekend, my mom, my mother-in-law, and even my dad and sister helped me get it all done. Just yesterday, Eli drilled holes in one pot for drainage and I finished up the last bit of planting.

Here's our front yard now! I'm so excited to have some color and life to it instead of just rocks!


A few close-ups of some of my favorites:

 I think this one is my absolute favorite! My dad picked it out and brought it when he came from Stephenville. I just love the way it spreads out, and the vibrant color!


These are miniature rose bushes my mom picked out. They're so pretty and small. I love the red-pink color.They look a little blurry, but the wind was crazy when I took pictures!


My herbs! I've had rosemary and sweet basil for a while now, but I decided to add some sage and combine them in a galvanized tub to keep them all together. Eli and I love cooking with fresh herbs, and these will produce fresh leaves all year! Soon, I hope to add some thyme and possibly mint for more flavor options.


 
This shepherd's hook (along with another just like it) was used in our wedding on the altar instead of a traditional canopy. We hung candles in jars on the hooks and had flowers in the base. It's been holding my mom's flowers at their house since then. I finally asked if she could bring it so I could use it in our garden.


I'm so glad we finally got all the flowers planted! I love having this colorful display in front of our house. Hopefully, I can keep them alive in this crazy Texas weather!





No comments:

Post a Comment