June 4, 2012

Salsa!

I have been wanting to make fresh salsa for a while now. I've tried before, but I can't ever seem to get the perfect combination of ingredients or techniques. Too much hassle. Too acidic. Too chunky. Too spicy. Spoils too fast. Too many cans...

So this time, I trusted the Pioneer Woman and her recipe for restaurant style salsa. Excellent decision! I felt a little like Goldilocks, because this is just right!!

I'll copy down the recipe for you, but please go back to her recipe and leave her some comment love if you try it!

Ingredients: 1 can of whole tomatoes, 2 cans of Rotel, 1/2 onion, 1 fresh jalapeno, 1 garlic clove, 1/4 to 1/2 cup cilantro, 1 Tbsp lime juice (or juice from half a lime), 1/4 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp sugar.


Basically, you just chop up the fresh ingredients, and dump them into the bowl of a (large!) food processor or blender along with the tomatoes and Rotel. Add the lime juice, salt, sugar, and cumin. Give it about 10-15 pulses. Refrigerate it for about an hour (or longer if you can stand it - the longer, the better). And there you have it - some of the best salsa you'll ever taste!

Just a quick note - this does make close to 2 1/2 quarts. Make sure you plan accordingly when putting it in your blender or food processor. My food processor only holds two cups and my blender holds 6 cups. I stirred everything by hand in a large Pyrex bowl first and blended it in two separate batches.


After it sits in the refrigerator to let the flavors blend together, you can then pour it into cute little jars and give them away to your fellow teachers or friends! ...  Or you could always park yourself on the couch with a giant bag of tortilla chips and devour it all! Either way, it's so good!







No comments:

Post a Comment