May 5, 2012

Polygonia!

Now that the STAAR test is over at school, teachers have the responsibility to continue teaching and engage students who are only dreaming of summer. This is probably the most challenging time of the year, but it can also be the most fun because we have the opportunity to do projects and activities without the pressure of a test over our heads. 

As you may (or may not) know, I teach 6th grade math. I really do love this age of kids. They are at the point where they're independent enough, but they still truly like school. Some days are very challenging, but I'm grateful to be able to teach these kids and I absolutely love my coworkers! I couldn't ask for better people around me every day! We've been through a lot together, but it has been two great years so far. 

This week at school, we started by reviewing different polygons and formulas to find the area and perimeter. Then came the project that they couldn't stop talking about all week! I don't want to brag, but please let me tell about our project this week. The kids loved it!

...

In a land far away known as Polygonia, there is a long-held tradition that every new king or queen designs his or her own flag to fly over the country as long as he or she reigns. This tradition began long, long ago with the first king and continues still today. As such, each new king or queen has the honor of creating a new flag for the country. People from the whole land turn out to see the unveiling of the new flag on the day the king is crowned. The current king is becoming old in age and will soon pass on his crown so someone else can rule the kingdom. Sadly, the king never married and never had any children. Therefore, he does not have a successor to the throne. The king was very distraught because that meant he had the responsibility of naming a new king or queen. He began talking with his advisors to come up with a solution for his soon-to-be kingless kingdom. After months of talking it over, the king has finally reached a decision: to hold a contest and the winner will be named the new king or queen! Here is the message he sent out to his whole kingdom, so that everyone may participate:

Hear ye, hear ye! I, King of Polygonia, am issuing a contest to be held this month in order to pass on the crown of Polygonia. Every person living within the land will be able to enter this contest and be eligible for the title of King or Queen. The rules are simple: you must design a new flag that is worthy to be flown over the country and I will choose the winner, thus naming my successor.
All submissions must be made by the third day of this week. The King will choose a successor at sundown, and announce the new King or Queen by the fifth day of this week. Any flags submitted that do not follow these guidelines will be disqualified from the contest. Best wishes as you go on this endeavor! May the best flag win!

...

The students were given specific dimensions and guidelines for designing their flags, and I have to say, they did a great job! I was asked so many questions like, "is there a jungle in Polygonia? I want to put a monkey on the flag, but only if there's a jungle" and "what is the current king's favorite color? I want to impress him by using his color on my flag!" Oh these kids were so  funny! 

After looking over the flag entries for a while, the King (me, with the help of Eli!) finally made a decision. One person would be the Queen or King and one person from each class would be a Prince or Princess, there were just too many good entries to choose only one. 

Here are some pictures of some of our favorites and the winners:


The winning design:

All four winners:  (can't you tell they were so excited to take this picture?!)

Prince Jacob

Princess Lea:

Princess Raven:



And Queen Chassity:  (yes, that's a Burger King crown! She was so proud, she wore it ALL day!! Haha!)

All together, it was a good week. My students had a lot of fun designing flags. I had fun looking at their creativity. And best of all, we made it one week closer to summer!!
My very favorite picture I took this week? Take a look!

18 school days left!! Hooray! I think I can speak for all teachers when I say we are just as excited as the kids! Summer is almost here! 

Check back soon for my 23 week update of our baby adventure.






No comments:

Post a Comment