October 13, 2012

Reflections from a new mom

It's often said, but the transition into motherhood has been both one of the best and most challenging times in my life. Since the arrival of Sarah, I cannot imagine life without her. The blessings and overwhelming love I feel for her are so real.



In the seven short weeks that I have been a mom, I have learned so much more than I thought I would. I knew having Sarah would be a life-changer, but I didn't realize what all that would entail. Now that I have been through a small piece of the parenting puzzle, I can reflect back on a few things I have learned.

1) Babies are forgiving. A good friend told me this while I was pregnant and Eli has reminded me a few times since. It's something I need to hear when I think I'm not doing this parenting thing right. Sarah still loves me even when I don't realize her diaper has been wet for a while. Even when I get overwhelmed and let her cry for a little bit while I take a deep breath. Even when I accidentally clip her finger nails too short.

2) Saturdays are not for sleeping in. When baby's up, everyone is up.

3) You can't do parenting by the book. Sure you can listen to advice from every other mom, grandmother, blog, and parenting book, but in the end my baby is not their baby. No one knows her better than her Daddy and I.We may not know all the answers, but we do our best every day to learn what is best for her.

4) There isn't just one way to do things. Daddy has his own way of swaddling, diapering, burping, etc. and it's okay.



5) It's okay to cry. We are not made to feel 13 emotions at one time. And sometimes crying it out helps, even for Momma.

6) The Baby Bjorn is a wonderful invention. We've been able to grocery shop, clean house, get schoolwork done, and maintain a little more sanity because of our carrier. Eli even wore it to play XBox with his brother. Hey you gotta do what works!



 7) All schedules are tentative. As much as I've tried to get Sarah on a schedule, she is the ultimate decider of how our day goes. She really is a great baby, but we have had to work around her idea of a schedule. Just face it, you'll always be late. (Or is it just me?...)

8) Everything else can wait. I don't want to look back on this time and regret filling it with work when I could have been spending every possible minute with my baby. It really is okay to let things go. Our house is still clean, we still eat, and we still wear clean clothes.

9) Take lots of pictures. Of everything. All the time. You can normally find me with my camera close by, but now that I have a really cute baby (and a new iPhone!), hardly a day has gone by without at least a few pictures! I'll never get these days again and I want to be able to remember every detail.



10) Trust your instincts. It's strange to have a feeling and just know. But you are the mom, and you really do know best...not because you're the boss or all-knowing, but because you know your baby, better than even you realize. It's not a cliche...you just do!

11) A smile makes up for all those lost hours of sleep. It doesn't matter how much she cries, how late she wants to stay up, or what crazy hour she thinks is time to wake up. The second Sarah gives me one of those big gummy grins, my heart melts and sleep doesn't matter that much anymore. My daughter loves me. That is enough. 



12) Feet are your new hands. They are excellent at picking up burp clothes, pacifiers and rocking your baby to sleep. 

13) Mom friends rock. I would be totally lost at this point if it weren't for some great friends who are either going through the same stages or have small children. These are the ones who you can text at 2 a.m. with questions (because she's probably up feeding too). No question is too awkward or dumb. Mom friends won't judge. They are just awesome. 

14) Going back to work is hard. There is no way to sugar coat it. It really hurts. I went back last Tuesday and dreaded every minute of it. I am thankful that I have a job and I can provide for my family, but just when it seemed like I was getting (somewhat) used to being a new mom, I had to leave my baby with the sitter for a whole day. Every time I cry and dread going to work, I just have to remind myself that my family needs me. I can't be selfish. And this is what motherhood is all about.

15) I have a new appreciation for my own mom. I look at my mom in a whole new light. I now know a little of what she has gone through and endured for our family. I also know that I can count on her to be there for me when I go through every new stage because she gets it. And it makes me love her even more. 


16) It takes a village. We have been so blessed to have wonderful family and friends to support us. In the past six weeks, our friends and family have loved us by bringing meals (on many occasions), washing laundry and dishes, cleaning the house, helping us maintain some sort of sanity, and praying for us. We could not be more grateful for their love and encouragement.


17) There will always be something to worry pray about. We are continually learning how to be the best parents for Sarah. A lot of the time, this involves giving it to God. I take that back - ALL the time. Instead of worrying about things, we need to take them to the Lord who loves us so much. Being a parent won't always be easy, but who other to turn to than the greatest Father ever?


We have been entrusted with taking care of Sarah and raising her in a godly home.We will never know all the answers. We will often stumble and make mistakes. And we will always learn how to improve. I am in awe at how God created Sarah so perfectly for us. Becoming a mom has awakened a deeper and richer love in me that I didn't know was possible. I do know, though, that this love will only grow deeper when we trust God to carry us through. I am so very grateful for the opportunity to take part in God's plan for our family. I am excited to see how it unfolds!






Lovebug, your Daddy and I are learning so much about how to be your parents. Thank you for being patient and gracious with us as we try to figure this out. We love you more every day and can't wait to watch you grow. You are so loved. 

Always, Momma




2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! So happy for you, Robin. You were always a sweet girl, I'm sure you'll be a wonderful mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you made me miss wrinkly newborn feet so bad with that adorable picture!! I'm so grateful to have you during this wonderful journey, it would be much harder without you! That last picture is absolutely precious!

    ReplyDelete